National Recovery Act Evaluation of the Weatherization Assistance Program
DOE sponsored two major national evaluations of the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). These were multiyear, peer-reviewed, statistically robust efforts led by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The Retrospective Evaluation covered Program Year (PY) 2008 and is reflective of a typical year in WAP operations. The Recovery Act Evaluation covered Program Year 2010 and provides insights into the unique Program that was administered by DOE in the national effort to create jobs and promote economic recovery as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA).
The Recovery Act Evaluation was performed to provide information on the costs and benefits of WAP services in different parts of the country and for different types of housing. It was also performed to provide a comprehensive picture of the Program (including the characteristics of the clients, housing stock, and service providers), assess program administration, document experiences during the Recovery Act period, and conduct several special studies.
The Recovery Act Evaluation found that the Program is effective, competent, and mission oriented. Specifically, the Program was found to provide cost-effective energy savings to American families, provide additional health and safety benefits, support jobs, and offer a stable platform for additional investment in energy efficiency. A Summary of Results is available that highlights the impact findings for both the Retrospective Evaluation and the Recovery Act Evaluation.
A total of 15 reports document the overall Recovery Act Evaluation. An evaluation plan (ORNL/TM-2011/87) was developed at the beginning of the project to help plan and implement the effort. Thirteen reports document the various studies that comprised the evaluation. A summary of the evaluation (ORNL/TM-2015/139) was also written at the conclusion of the study. Links to these 15 reports are provided below.
We want to thank the many people who helped make this evaluation possible, including: the Grantees and Subgrantees that completed surveys and collaborated in various special studies; the utility companies that provided billing histories; the weatherization staff, weatherization recipients, and training centers that also completed surveys; and the Subgrantee staff and weatherization recipients who contributed their time and thoughts to our case studies. We also wish to thank our panels of external expert reviewers who provided input into the design of the evaluation and comments on the products of this evaluation.
ORNL led the evaluation and was joined by a team of independent evaluators, led by APPRISE, the Energy Center of Wisconsin, Dalhoff & Associates, and Blasnik & Associates.
- Weatherization Works II – Summary of Findings From the ARRA Period Evaluation of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Weatherization Assistance Program (ORNL/TM-2015/139)
- National Weatherization Assistance Program Impact Evaluation – A Pilot Monitoring Study of Cooling System Consumption and Savings under the WAP Program (ORNL/TM-2014/339)
- Exploratory Review of Grantee, Subgrantee and Client Experiences with Deferred Services under the Weatherization Assistance Program (ORNL/TM-2014/364)
- Assessing the Potential of Social Networks as a Means for Information Diffusion – the Weatherization Experiences (WE) Project (ORNL/TM-2014/405)
- Evaluation of the Weatherization Assistance Program During Program Years 2009-2011 (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Period): Energy Impact for Mobile Homes (ORNL/TM-2014/558)
- Evaluation of the Weatherization Assistance Program During Program Years 2009-2011 (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Period): Energy Impacts for Single Family Homes (ORNL/TM-2014/582)
- Evaluation of the Weatherization Assistance Program During Program Years 2009-2011 (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Period): Energy Impacts for Multifamily Buildings (ORNL/TM-2014/583)
- U.S. Territories and Weatherization Assistance Program During the Recovery Act Period (ORNL/TM-2014/592)
- Survey of Recipients of Weatherization Assistance Program Services: Assessment of Household Budget and Energy Behavior Pre- to Post-Weatherization (ORNL/TM-2015/64)
- Findings from Survey Administered to Weatherization Training Centers (ORNL/TM-2015/84)
- Environmental Emissions Nonenergy Benefits Working Paper: ARRA Period (ORNL/TM-2015/127)
- National Weatherization Assistance Program Evaluation: Assessment of Refrigerator Energy Use (ORNL/TM-2015/150)
- National Weatherization Assistance Program Characterization Describing the Recovery Act Period (ORNL/TM-2015/195)
- Exploring Potential Impacts of Weatherization and Healthy Homes Interventions on Asthma-related Medicaid Claims and Costs in a Small Cohort in Washington State (ORNL/TM-2015/213)
- Evaluation of the National Weatherization Assistance Program during Program Years 2009-2011 (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Period) (ORNL/TM-2011/87)